Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Too Hot To Knit!?!?!?!?

It is so hot. I hate the heat. I live in Maine for many reasons, and included in those reasons is that I do not enjoy having my underwear become part of my pores. I can't even knit, I tried to work on the Urban Aran, and my hands were so sweaty that I got all tight and sticky and finally gave up. Wool's hot in the summer, who knew?

Speaking of urban, I finished the first sleeve in a BIG push when Mr. VT was in Ithaca, then ended up unknitting the wrist and adding a few inches. I'm probabally most of the way up the forearm on the second one now. This is a guess, as it's too hot to try it on. I'm currently debating how to do the collar. I'm not sure if I want the collar as in the pattern, or if I want to change it. I'm partial to hoods, but don't think I'll have enough yarn. As I'm doing it as a zip cardigan, I kinda like this idea of not doing a collar per-say, but more of a roll-neck type thing. I'll probabally seam the shoulders and arms then take it from there once I can put it on.

Had an event today that involved wearing my new suit from Banana Republic (thanks mom). I knew my instinct to buy a NICE suit in advance was the right one, as I had about three days notice to wrangle up an appropriate outfit. Normally this would involve a METRIC SHITLOAD of freaking out and obsessively hunting every store within 50 miles. This instead involved clipping the tags and taking a leisurely jaunt to Freeport to get a dressy t-shirt at the Gap. For $6.00. I am a bargain rock star. So anyway, this event (which did not involve court proceedings) went well despite the fact that I got on the interstate in the wrong direction and drove 10 minutes in the wrong direction cause after that loonie lady in Portland got charged with manslaughter or something after turning around in the median break and causing a mega accident, I couldn't bring myself to do it. This meant 1. I had to drive, like 80mph. 2. I was even more out of gas and was too scared to turn on the air conditioning. 3. I arrived at my location to discover that, like the professional that I am, I had sweat through my new Gap shirt. Remember, it was hot, actually 94 degrees. By some miracle and the #1 mention, I got there only 5 minutes late. And things went well. And that's all I'm gonna say about that cause I'm superstitious.

In more news, I finished plying the pink-orange-yellow yarn from the last post. It will probably join Fred as it is a small enough amount that I do not know what one would do with it. I am discovering that I like doing looooooooong draft pulls. I also want to make enough yarn that I can make something out of it. But not now, as it's too hot. It's so hot my finger tips are sweating from typing. So I'm gonna go and sit in front of the fan. And imagine that we live in Alaska.

3 Comments:

Blogger Bezzie said...

Yeah Alaska's feeling the heat too--this is the only reason I believe in global warming. It was 90 degrees last week according to the 'rents!

It's hot here too. And now thanks to you, I'm going to have the mental image of my underwear becoming part of my pores today!!!!

6:25 AM  
Blogger Batty said...

That's what cotton is for. It hurts to knit with, but it doesn't felt under one's sweaty hands!

A friend of mine told me that Banana Republic is definitely the place to get a suit. Not only do they look good and last a long time, but they also do alterations right there. Good call!

7:26 AM  
Blogger Rain said...

YOu'll give me nightmares if you tell me there are places where I couldn't knit for the heat. You should see Britain, it's blinkin' freezing and everywhere's flooded with more rain on the way.

fingers crossed your suit wearing event results in your favour.

5:31 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home