Thursday, June 14, 2007

Maine Fiber Frolic

I went up to the Maine Fiber Frolic this past weekend, which was super cool and so cute and fuzzy all over the place!!! It was essentially a 4-H style fair, but for things having to do with spinning. So I saw alpacas, lamas, bunnies, goats, and sheep, and lots of shearing and spinning and fiber and yarn, it was cool. And the biggest reason I went (aside from the cute fuzzy things) was cause I took a spindling workshop...AND I MADE THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It was so cool. It's my first mini-skein. I will hang it from my rear-view mirror and name it Fred. (thank you twerpburger). I don't know how many yards I made, but I think it's about a half an ounce of fiber. It's thick and thin and too twisty in places, but as it was my FIRST TIME EVER spinning yarn, I think I did pretty darn good. So good in fact that while I was there and had vendors at my disposal, I bought a spindle from the Spunky Eclectic who I have heard about on Lime and Violet, but did not realize was here in Maine. She was very nice and even gave me some free play fiber, and I went home and have been working on this...

See? It's yarn!
It's even even yarn, it looks like something that could resemble a store-bought yarn.
Ohhhhh, isn't it pretty? and even? There are some parts where I had a chunk or thin spot, but those are hidden in the pic, and there aren't too many of them. I'm having a hard time getting the spindle to maintain spin and not go backwards, but I am pre-drafting a lot so I think I just need to go faster. There's a fiber shop in town and I picked up 7oz of corrindale to practice on too.
Didn't I SWEAR I wasn't going to have any new hobbies? I guess that this is really just an extension of knitting, so I think that's okay. When I came home Mr. VT and I were talking about the way we both like making something from scratch, kind of living off the land style but minus the crunchy hippie part. We do our own beer, and try to make our own wine, and I just made rhubarb jam, and the bread thing, and pesto, we both really enjoy making things from scratch. Like here's this bottle of rhubarb wine that we made at home AND grew the rhubarb to boot! I think that spinning will meld into that style of our living well.

4 Comments:

Blogger Bezzie said...

I can't believe that's your first try--WOW!

5:25 AM  
Blogger Batty said...

OK, that proves it: drafting is the answer. You're already a master drafter from using a wheel, whereas I can't draft either way, which is why my third and fourth and fifth spun doesn't look anywhere near as nice. Beautiful!

7:50 AM  
Blogger Sssarahevt said...

Batty, I never used a wheel, I've really never spun. I'm chalking it up to either dumb luck or hidden talent.

8:42 AM  
Blogger Rain said...

Your spinning is amazing. I made a top from yarn that looks exactly like Fred. I think this is the start of great things to come.

2:20 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home