Sunday, May 25, 2008

Shearing Part 1

This is my aunt's farm where we went right before sheep and wool. These are some of her animals, including the scariest dog.



These are the sheep:

The sheep in the front was one that they couldn't catch last year, so that's 2 years of growth. The staple length is so long it can't be processed, but my sis in law (the same one whose getting the socks) is using it to felt.


Naked sheep. That pigme goat kept rearing back and butting the sheep as they were shorn, he didn't recognize them or their smell and thought he had to assert his dominance over the new infiltrators. All the other sheep were freaked out by the newly shorn sheep too.
They were fast. And reaaaaaaallllllly hard to catch, even in the small barn.

It was a fun trip. I'm not going to post pics of the actual Maryland sheep and wool fest, cause it's pretty much a bunch of pics of sheep. And I totally missed the ravelry meet up cause we got "lost" on the way and got there late. And the only person I saw that I recognized was monkeemaven who I don't really know. I did see Casey of ravelry pretty much as soon as I walked in to the fair, but missed EVERYONE else. Bummer.

1 Comments:

Blogger ZantiMissKnit said...

Wow! That is a huge looking dog! Is it a Leonberger?

I can't imagine trying to shear a sheep. I have such a hard time just trimming my cats' nails.

8:01 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home