Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Catch Up on Blogstalking #4...

Three things I love, three things I hate...
I love the smells outside...in the fall there's leaves, burning wood, dirt, in winter there's that crisp, cold smell of snow and ice, in the spring, mud, the first flowers, and that light muskiness of new animals, and in the summer, the smell of heat, cut grass, lilacs, and fresh gardens. As I get older, I am discovering I am a very olfactory person, sensitive to every smell. These smells (most of them) make me so happy. (this pic is from ohadonline.com, an amazing photographer and worth checking out)
I love starting with nothing and making something. A bag of fleece turns to yarn, that turns to a hat. Seeds turn to tomatoes, that turn to canned tomatoes and then salsa and chili. Rhubarb from the yard turns to juice, and then wine. A pile of fabric turns into curtains or pillows. Flour , water, salt and yeast warms with heat and turns to bread. There's something so amazing about using raw materials that are so simple and changing them into something that we can use and love.
And, I love my hubbie. This is him fishing on the St. Croix River in Maine last summer. I love being outside with him, playing in the woods. When we're outside, we can totally relax, put aside all the excess crap of our lives, and just enjoy each other.


Three things I hate? These don't get pictures, cause they don't deserve them.
1. I hate that there are so, so many places that people can't feel comfortable or safe being themselves. I tried to narrow this down to be more specific, but I realized I can't.
2. I hate that our entire society is constructed around making and spending money, with some people at the top, some more in the middle, and too many at the bottom. What a sad thing for us to focus on with our whole being.
3. I hate that I don't hate these things enough to say fuck the US and give everything up, move to Canada, and join a commune. Because there are too many other things that I love more.

6 Comments:

Blogger Bezzie said...

There will always be a place for you at Bezzie's Canadian Commune should you change your mind ;-)

I'm a big smell person too. I blame it on the fact my eyes are getting worse and worse as I grow older.

8:34 AM  
Blogger Batty said...

I love the leaf picture. It's so intensely colorful.

8:18 PM  
Blogger Eryn said...

I want to join you and Bezzie at the commune. I can install the solar panels and windmills so we can live off the grid but still have computers.....

8:40 PM  
Blogger Mag said...

Beautiful photos! I love the fall leaves shot.

Don't come to Las Vegas, all you'll smell is dirt, car exhaust and entirely too much cheap perfume. ;)

7:33 PM  
Blogger Knit - R - Done said...

Thanks for the post. I love the leaf pictures and that yarn is lovely. Our leaves are long gone in MT.

This country can be like the worthless boyfriend you can't bring yourself to leave...but he shows up with flowers and a crooked grin at just the right moment sometimes.

12:53 PM  
Blogger Little Miss Curious said...

The smells of fall are beautiful and getting outside in nature is particularly important if you are one of those people who does not close your eyes to injustice. The fact that a wooly sheep can turn into a cozy purple sweater is also comforting. Don't close your eyes. The world needs people to pay attention.

9:07 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home