Saturday, March 24, 2007

Center Square

After being quite fried on the eons of 2x2 ribbing in the Urban Aran, I cast on for a new project, Center Square. Of course, I decided (as I often do) that the pattern as written was not quite to my liking and needed adjustment. In this case, I do not like to stretched out loose look of the stitches, and also did not like using two yarns held together because a) spring is almost here and I do not want another winter hat, and b) I am scared of doing fair isle with not just two, but four yarns to keep track of. So I am making it with single yarns in the same Patons Classic Merino, at 20 sts/inch on 6's (cause I can't find/don't own 7's/was too lazy to figure out magic-loop-whatever). So I DID MATHS and guessed on casting on 88 sts, cause that was about the same finished hat size as the pattern. BUT. I forgot that I was using smaller yarn, and it would be less stretchie than if I had used the pattern. SOOO...I made a very tight headband. And frogged, as you can see from the yarn ramen. Ahh well, it was like making a swatch, right? Darn...back to doing maths.

But aren't those colors so so so so pretty together? I felt hip and cool just knitting them!!!

3 Comments:

Blogger Bezzie said...

Hee hee! I'm the same way with a pattern. I can't follow it to a t at all! Very cool yarns--hip indeed! :-)

11:15 AM  
Blogger Batty said...

The colors are going to be very pretty together. And I always do the same thing, it's part of the creative process. Completely normal and natural, I'm sure.

9:28 PM  
Blogger Rain said...

Love the look of the Urban Aran.

Those colours are great together. That's the fab thing about knitting - you can do what you want with it. don't blame you, fair isle with all those strands would be a pain in the bum.

5:22 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home