Friday, December 08, 2006

One Little Micey

We...caught a mouse! Yes, a mouse! I am only surprised by this because we have the world's smartest mice in our house. They evade the cats, the sticky traps, the snappy traps, and the dog. I think I even caught one doing calculus in the pantry the other day. But they are hungry, and eat all sorts of thinks, and find their way into everything. They have a nest behind our bed, and trust me, at 2:30 in the morning when you are woken up by scritch-scratch in the wall, it's all you can do to keep yourself from punching a hole in the wall and tossing a drowsy feline in to take care of things.

The bottom line hit last week...we found poops in the silverwear drawer. While I find it ucky and gross, Mr. VT is thoroughly repulsed by the little mice feetsies and the staphino-rabo-bactoreesum-cauckus germs that the disease-ridden buggars carry. So I loaded up with the snappy traps, the sticky traps, and the nice have-a-heart traps and boobie trapped the whole kitchen.

And last night, as I was waiting for my tea to be ready, I noticed that the have-a-heart trap had moved, and low and behold, a cute little micey!!! He seemed pretty happy in there, having eaten the cracker and peanut butter (Okay, he looked shaken and was covered in his own urine, but that kinda ruins the story).

So I put on my shoes and coat and trekked all the way across the back 40 to the woods and let him go next to a log. And I went inside and shook myself off (cause it was sleeting) and went about my night, happy that we hd one less micey to eat out stuff and wake us up at 2:30. ***Let it be said that I do not know the distance a mouse will travel and should have looked into that before setting up the traps so as to avoid the inevitable "Crap. Now what do we do with this thing?". I hope many, many yards is far enough.***

When I woke up this morning, I had two thoughts: "Sweet!! It snowed! Finally it looks like winter!!" and "Shit. That trek across the yard was wasted cause the damn mouse is probabally dead of hypothermia from all the snow and not having a little den and all. Should have just given him to the cats. I don't really feel like I have-a-heart after all." Little bastard.

4 Comments:

Blogger Pyewacket said...

Rodents in the house get NO MERCY. You tried. It's mousikin's fault for squatting uninvited.

Hope you sleep peacefully tonight!

7:52 PM  
Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

No mercy indeed! It's really too bad Morris is gone because he was the hunter of the two. Ripple couldn't catch a mouse if it were passed out in the middle of the carpet.

1:13 PM  
Blogger Bezzie said...

Oh man, I love mouse hunting season! I prefer the snappy traps though. I'm evil that way ;-)

12:02 PM  
Blogger Sssarahevt said...

We used to have chipmunks wicked bad in our garden when we were in VT. Bad enough that after we lost all our herbs, we did snappy traps. Then I got pissed and went for a local exterpation via Mr. VT's air rifle. It's okay as long as you aim good. If you miss a bit, then it gets sad. But really, I still like chippys! As long as they're not in the garden.Gawd, I sound like I should be in one of those "you might be a redneck if..." jokes. I'm a LIBERAL, really!!!

1:01 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home